Followers

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Paris Day 3- Puces St. Oeun & Eiffel Tower


AAARRRGGG!!! I spent about a 1/2 hr this morning writing about what we did yesterday & when I went to post it, it all disappeared!! So, I'll try to recollect what I wrote... :(

My calves are so sore from walking up the bell tower! But what a day we had.
We headed out in the morning on the metro to the Puces St. Oeun flea market. I was wondering if they had Chinese vendors selling purses & sunglasses in Paris. Close! We followed the signs when we got off the metro & found the 1st section. It was pretty cheesy-African stuff, jeans, clothes, shoes, jewelry & hooka pipes! All the vendors were African or Arabic. I wore my MZUNGU tshirt (foreignor) & wondered if any of the African guys would start speaking Swahili to me. Nope.
I wasn't impressed w/ anything. Just junk.

Then we made our way across the highway to another section to find the antique stuff. Wow- it was alley after alley of tiny little shops-what a maze! It was so neat to look at everything-lots of dishes, paintings, furniture,etc. I was hoping to find something cool but I didn't get anything. It was all so expensive!! Kim was eyeing up silver candlesticks from the 18th century for 450 euros (about $800)!! We had lunch there & made our way back to the apartment. Her aunt bought a giant copper pot we had to drop off before heading to the Eiffel Tower.

Around 5pm we took the metro again to the Eiffel Tower,yahoo! We got off at Trocadero, walked about the corner of a huge building, looked to the left & .....AAAAAHHHH!!!!! There it was! HUGE & right there! It was such a magical moment. To be standing there in front of a wonder of the world- something you only see on TV or read about-is phenominal. Speechless. Awe-inspiring. This is what I live for. It reminded me of Egypt-staring at the pyramids. It's just outstanding. I hope the Taj Mahal is next!

We made our way across a huge courtyard & highway to get to it. Kim said there was a great crepe place there. So I got my daily chocolate crepe-YUM!!!
The line for tickets was not that bad. It was long but we moved pretty quickly. We took the elevator all the way to the top! They cram so many people in there like sardines! They have a sign saying, "Beware of pickpockets".
So we get out & head straight up the steps to the lookout- 360 all around. WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!! This was unbelievable!! The views of the entire city were simply breathtaking. You could see all the monuments-they looked so tiny from up there! They must use the same material for all the buildings cuz they all have the same white material.
We got some great pics then headed down to the 2nd level lookout for more pics.

It was so outstanding!! I can't wait to get my pics developed. It was dark when we left so we got to see it all lit up!!! Just like a poster picture! Every hour it "sparkles" too! As if it couldn't get any better, we saw it sparkle at 8pm & 9pm. I took a short video of it. I could have stayed there for an hour just watching it. Pinch me, pinch me!!

2 aching feet later, it was so worth it.

No comments: