Followers

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Bonjour!!


Bonjour mez amis!
I've arrived safe & soundly in Paris, France!! It's been absolutely amazing already.
Our flight was fine & uneventful. Going through security & passport check was fast! We ran into a glitch though when we got through baggage claim & our driver wasn't there!! We were all expecting to see a guy holding a sign w/ Kim's name on it. After a 1/2 hr she called the guy in charge of the apartment. He said he'd call the driver to see where he was at. If we didn't see him in 10 minutes, Kim should call him back. We waited an hour & nothing. It was super discouraging. We were super tired & didn't know where we were going.
When Kim called back, the guy acted like he didn't know what we were talking about, like there never was a reservation for a limo to take us to the apt!! WHAT??!!
So we ended up taking a cab to the apt & that worked out just fine & was a lot cheaper!

It looked like he pulled into an alley. That was our address! I told Kim maybe he shouldn't leave us just yet until we know the woman was there to meet us in the apt. Luckily, she was here & buzzed us in.
We're on the 4th floor in a huge complex called Palais Royale. It was the garden hang out of King Louis the 14th. It's beautful! Just like the website but slightly smaller. We have a full kitchen, bar stools, dining room, living room, 3.5 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms & a balcony. The balcony looks out into the gardens & surrounding complex=it's so nice!

Kim, her mom, aunt & I headed out later this afternoon on foot. We walked past/through the Louvre grounds-wowohowowohwow!!!! Somebody slap me silly!! It was so incredibly impressive! And this was just looking at the outside. Then Kim says, "Look Jes!", & there was the top of the Eiffel Tower! We made our way down the street & across a bridge to take a cruise tour on the Seine river. It was windy, slightly drizzly & cool. Oh no-I might have to buy a jacket! We sat on the upper deck & got some great pics of the surrounding buildings & monuments. I didn't realize how close everything is! The Louvre, Notre Dame & some other things are all within walking distance of each other.
We had a nice tour guide gal who spoke in French & English, thank goodness. We saw the Eiffel Tower up close-it was amazing!! I kept squealing with excitement. This is the kind of stuff you only read about or see on TV! Then here I am!!! I love it-it's such an incredible feeling. It reminded me of when I was going to Egypt & people would say, "Why do you want to go to Egypt?". WWWWAAAAAAAAHH???!! Have you ANY idea of what's there???
We got a nice view of Notre Dame too which was soooo cool. I can't wait til tomorrow when we tour there!

Get this- there were street vendors along the road walking to the cruise tour. What did I see? A print of a girl playing a tambourine!!!! It stopped me dead in my tracks. I didn't buy it-was going to get it on the way back but they closed. Tomorrow perhaps!

We walked back to our road & checked out what was down in the opposite direction. saw a sign for a supermarket & got milk for my cereal in the AM.

Then we headed out for dinner. I got a good dish of salmon w/ tomatoes in a cream sauce.
So now we've been up for far too long & utterly exhausted. I can't wait to lay down my weary head.

First day in Paris= pinch me!!! It's amazing! Plus I didn't encounter any rude frenchies.
Tomorrow- Notre Dame & a historic walking tour from there to Saint Chappelle.
Bon nuit!!
Jes

No comments: