Followers

Monday, October 3, 2011

Jemez & Sopapillas


Boy, this is starting to be about food!

Today George took me for a drive to the Jemez (Hay-mez) pueblo/reservation, about an hour away while Susan went to a book club meeting. George was a great tour guide! I got an education on our way about the native american people & the land.
As we drove, it reminded me more & more of Sedona, AZ! We came to a HUGE red rock area where George had to pull over for me to get out & take pics! It was amazing~ There was noone around, hardly any buildings & mountains everywhere=gorgeous!
We stopped at a creek where he sometimes goes fishing, then went for lunch at Los Ojos, which was his old college stomping grounds for fun. He said it hasn't changed much! I got fish & chips & he got a famous burger. The fries were great! It was very rustic with antlers, deer mounts, rifles & tree-trunk type barstools. The waitress gave me postcards of the place!

We continued on towards Soda Dam- a natural hot spring along the road. Oh WOW!!! If I had a suit, I would have jumped right in there. The formation was so cool! There were cave-like structures with a big waterfall into a creek. Very picturesque! Up ahead was Battleship Rock- a cool formation made from volcanic rock that looked like a bow to a ship.
Then we headed back listening to "classic vinyl" on Sirrius radio while I told George my Challenger story from Sedona.

They tag-teamed & Susan took me out to a scrapbook store & a bead store that I looked up online before I came. Jackpot!! The scrapbook store was fabulous. They had awesome, unique things that I can't get at home, including hot air balloon stuff! Susan got an album for their Tahiti pictures too.
The bead store was just as fun! Susan found the coolest wooden beads that actually changed color when you touched them! I got 5 of them with the idea of a bracelet in mind. I got a bunch of the teeniest weeniest beads in wonderful colors that I think will be the proper size for classes with Gloria when I get home. I can't wait to learn a new hobby!

Then later, we went out to eat so I could treat them to some good, authentic Mexican food & my most favorite sopapillas!! They took me before to this awesome place-Abulietas where I remembered having the most incredible, doughnut-like sopapillas ever. Mmmmmmm~ divine!

Tomorrow Susan & I hit up Old Town Albuquerque. I think I need a bigger house with more walls to decorate...

No comments: