Followers

Monday, October 3, 2011

Crafts & Crepes


Getting back from the fiesta, we ate some great homemade chicken soup. Then Susan & I headed back out to the huge art & craft tent near the fiesta. Oh-hold me down! This was awesome! I didn't know which way to turn first when we got in under the massive tent. Everything looked so beautiful! Aisles of exquisite handmade crafts & art by local artisans made me want one of everything! I found a cool handmade pendant with a balloon & adobe house scene that reminded me of being here in New Mexico. I quickly put that on my "come back for that later" list. Down the first aisle, we ran into thier friend, Dave, and his family again! (from the balloon fiesta) It was so funny. There were tons of people there at the craft show. It was like a needle in a haystack-again-finding them there!

I found an incredible painter who had some brilliantly colored artwork of kachinas. I fell in love with them! She had a huge painting for $550, a smaller version for $300 & a little print for $24. I was laying some smaller single ones out trying to make a decision. She said she'd cut me a deal on the bigger paintings if I was interested. Ooooo-tempting! I told her to put aside the small print & I'd be back later. In the meantime, I saw another booth of a painter who had some cool kachinas just like Susan & George have in their house that I really admire. He had little prints 2 for $15! YAY
We saw such amazing artwork- jewelry, paintings, pottery, mixed media, metal sculptures & more. It was way better than being at a mall!Plus, what was so neat was that all the artists were right there at their booth so you could meet them. I found a beautiful pottery hanging wall "basket" with feathers on it & a metal kachina sculpture for the wall.
The whole time I'm walking around thinking about the first kachina painting & if I should buy the canvas or the cheap little print. I don't have any NICE art in my house yet. This could be my first REAL piece of artwork! Hmmm.....I could offer $250...should I spend that much? If not, will I regret it? ARG!
Well, time was awasting & we had to go. I went back to the booth, picked up the small print & said I'd take that for $24. The woman wasn't there so the husband helped me. I must have said something about wanting the big canvas. He said, "It's 4:30pm, I don't want to pack that back up. I'll give it to you for $250". Susan & I looked at each other- hmmmm.... I got a look in my eye & said to the guy, "If you make it $200, I'll take it right now". He said, "ok"! Susan & I just looked at each other like "HAHA! Woohoo!". Happyhappyjoyjoy!!!!! What a great day!

Later back at the house, we got ready for friends to come for dinner. Terry & Ebbit came to visit on their way from Durango, CO back to Toucson, AZ. Terry used to live near Susan & George back in Slatington. We had a great time! They were a lot of fun to talk to & we ate a yummy chicken enchilada casserole. I volunteered to make crepes for dessert! Everyone seemed happy with that. Terry wrote down the recipe & asked me how to make them. My favorite way to eat them is with Nutella since being in Paris! They were soooo yummy!

So, it was an outstanding first day in NM!

No comments: