Followers

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Life in Moshi

It took 2 weeks, but now I'm totally settled in to my surroundings. Just in time to leave, unfortunately! When I first arrived, the older volunteers kept commenting on how 3 weeks is SO short. Now I understand. It really is. A lot of girls are here for 6, 8 & 12 weeks. Granted, they're mostly 18-22 year olds! But it really is true. Just when you get in the swing of things, you have to leave. It does go by VERY fast.

I truly feel like a part of the community now & not a tourist. There's an acceptance here of us which is so refreshing. Everyone you meet out walking acknowledges you. It's so wonderful compared to at home. When I walk the dogs, it's hard to even say hello to someone cuz as you get closer, they turn their backs! People avoid conversation at all costs. It's SO opposite here. I love it! Basic humanity, people! If I pass someone here & they don't say anything first, I don't wait-I'll say "jambo!" & they always reply with a smile & say something else. I told some other girls that it feels so good to be able to reply to people here AND say something in return!! I think they love it when you respond with something more than hello. Especially if they ask "habari..." & you answer & say "na wewe?" which means 'and you?'. I LOVE speaking Swahili. I'm totally going to miss that when I go home. Who wants to learn so we can talk?? (Barry-I may have to come into the store more frequently to talk to Ali!!)

People are out walking EVERYWHERE. You have to basically. Unlike NYC, people here have to walk FAR, just to sell something closer to town or to get something in town. Lots of people (men) ride bikes. I haven't seen any women riding bikes. We get to ride sidesaddle behind the guy doing all the work. Ü

The cars are like the kind in England. The steering wheels are on the R & they drive on the L. They have crazy vans called dalla dallas which go up & down the roads constantly like buses. They cram tons of people in them, sometimes they're hanging out the window. Yes, I rode one today! It wasn't too bad. Especially since some places are too far to walk & it only costs 30 cents.

Main roads are paved, but most of the roads in town are just dirt- with LOTS of dips, BIG dips. So, with the downpours that we're starting to get, it makes for tons & tons of MUD. My shoes are a lovely shade of reddish brown, as is everyone else's. I made the mistake of wearing flip flops to town the other day, walking in the mud. I got a huge blister from the 'thong' under my toe.
I can NOT imagine what it's like here during the rainy season! It lasts from March to May. My roomie, Karen, will be here the whole time so I'll hear from her. I can't imagine how messy it gets. Some roads are completely impassable & people just stay home.
Every place, store, etc has these metal things outside the door to scrape your shoes from the mud. Our floors in the house are pretty much dirty at all times. I think the dirt is permanently embedded around my toes now. I'd love to have a pedicure when I get home. Actually, I'd love to have a body scrub, pedicure, teeth cleaning & a haircut. Ü

The people are so awesome. I know I just mentioned it, but it's just the greatest how everyone greets you. Everyone says "karibu" with a smile which means welcome. How many times to we say that to strangers in the US? Uh, NEVER. I had thought before coming here that I might want to come home w/ a kid. Just to be able to give a child a better life in America with more opportunities. We may have more opportunities, but I'm telling you= there's nothing wrong with their life here. I think they'd hate the lack of community. They may not have toys, teddy bears & dolls, but they have family, fun & lots of bananas. What truly matters in life anyway?
I hope to hold onto the sense of community & human kindness as long as I can.

And the children- oh my, the children!! They are too cute for words. There's a word that everyone uses here- MZUNGU. It means 'foreigner'. You learn not to be offended when someone calls you that or when children point to you & yell,"mzungu! mzungu!". Some girls at the house got tshirts that say MZUNGU. I didn't get one, but they are funny.
Well, this morning I had my 1st encounter w/ little kids. When I was dropped off at my placement, 2 tiny little kids around 3-4 came running w/ their arms outstretched to me yelling, "mzungu! mzungu!" I mean they ran right into me, reaching up to me & started petting my hair like a dog. It was the cutest thing ever!!!!!! I loved it. I don't think I'd want kids hanging off of me every day doing that but it was fun.

Well, that's about all I can think of for now about life here. I love it. Wouldn't want to live here permanently, but it's fabulous. I miss scrapbooking & stamping. They don't have any kind of crafts here really, just woodworking for souveniers & batik. So that's one thing I miss.

So, gotta get going for dinner. Tomorrow's my last day at school. I'll probably be crying buckets.
love,
Jes

No comments: