Followers

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Safari- one of the greatest times of my LIFE!!! Day 1

Just when I think life can't get any better- God socks another one to me. I kep thanking the Lord for this opportunity over & over. WHAT A DREAM COME TRUE!!!!!!!!

Friday began w/ a trip to our campsite about 2 hours away. I had no idea what it would be like. It was super nice! Like a hotel site! There was a big bar/eating area w/ a thatched roof, a huge lodge for those who didn't want to camp, a POOL, thatched roof umbrella tables w/ chairs for lounging, lots of green grass for out tents & a big pavillion for us to eat at. PLus they had toilets & showers! Vendors were out front too. I totally thought we'd be roughing it out in the bush somewhere. I brought minimal supplies- cleansing cloths for my face & a couple Wet Ones,that's all. Thank goodness I brought my toothbrush though!

So- Friday night we headed to visit a traditional Maasai village. They are native people who live off the land, similar to Native American Indians. They own the land & are kind of revered by all. They wear plaid blanket-type robes, carry sticks or spears & wear beaded jewelry. When we got to their village (which is in the middle of nowhere), the men processed in chanting & kind of grunting.Then they formed a circle & started chanting/singing & JUMPING really high straight in the air! It was a welcome dance for us & very cool. They have a small herd of cows which is their only food source. They eat milk, blood & meat-GROSS!!!! Their huts are made by the women out of straw & cow poo, which we got to go in one.Amazing. It got dark quickly so my pictures aren't the greatest but it was so cool.

My roomie, Leann & I shared a tent. We slept pretty well, wasn't too bad.

More on Day 2 coming soon!
love,
Jes

No comments: