Followers

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Day Trip to Marangu

Hi all!
Today we had off & went to the town of Marangu. We stopped first at the largest Baobab tree-holy cow-you have to look these up. I've never seen anything so huge. Then we went to see traditional blacksmiths working. They had way-cool spears for sale. I was tempted, but what the heck do I need a spear for? I ended up buying some funky "bells" for my ankles for dancing. Took some pics of a banana "forest". Bananas are EVERYWHERE here. Then we stopped at a local market. It was cool! I really wanted to takes photos but I couldn't. The native people here do not want to be "on display" like safari animals. We MZUNGU (foreigners) want to take their pictures all the time cuz they way they look & live is so different from our own, but we have to respect them.
The market reminded me of a flea market at home. Stands of produce everywhere & some misc dumb stuff like shoes, jewelry, even underwear! I bought a cool scarf/shawl for $3 & had a little chameleon climb on me. That was cool! Makes me want to get one as a pet. The guy wanted a dollar though cuz I took pics.

Then we went to see a traditional Chagga tribe cave where they hid during a war. We also saw how they live-their huts, tools,way of life, etc.

Then we went to waterfalls-so cool! But holy geez- what a hike! Not for the faint or poor joints! It was SO steep & my little legs had to really stretch-REALLY tiring!! The waterfalls were awesome though & we went swimming in at the swimming hole down further. That was cool! It was like a big creek in the woods-but melted glacier water! How cool!

So now I'm exhausted & will actually go to bed early after I firm up my lesson for tomorrow.

later!
Jes

2 comments:

xdogladyx said...

Hi Jes, Finally figured out my password. This will make SOME scrapbook. Can't wait to see the pics. Jane

Tara said...

Hi Jes. Don't let your frustration get the best of you. You are there to teach those kids the BASICS of the English language.
You are an incredible person who is careing and giving to others. Those kids can see that. Just the fact that you are there to help then learn the best way you know how is what, I am sure, means the most to them. Making them laugh and smile is the best gift of all.
As for your Safari, I am sooooo jealous. I would give anything to have lion snot on me. I can't wait to see the pictures.
I am glad to hear you are safe, and having and incredible time. My thoughts and prayers are with you daily until you arrive safely home.